Friday, October 5, 2018

Congratulations, Marilyn Hermance!


Just a few days ago, DPHA received a heartfelt announcement from DPHA Fellow Marilyn Hermance (Westheimer Plumbing and Hardware in Houston, TX) informing us that after 40 years, she will be retiring effective November 1st of this year.
 
Marilyn is another pioneer in the decorative plumbing and hardware industry. She held a variety of jobs before entering the world of decorative plumbing and hardware. She was a child model, owned an automobile and truck company and taught American Studies at Case Western Reserve University. In 1977, Marilyn returned to her native Houston. She became frustrated by the fact that she could not find products for her new house that she wanted. As a result, she opened Houston's first decorative plumbing and hardware showroom. For the next several decades, the business grew steadily thanks to Marilyn's sharp eye for innovative product and entrepreneurial passion to succeed. 
 
Marilyn recognized the need for her industry to come together and became one of the dynamic forces that helped to create the DPH sector within NKBA. She also understood and appreciated the challenges facing entrepreneurs who may not have had formal business training. That is one of the reasons she helped to establish the Entrepreneurship Program at the University of Houston and served as one of the Program's adjunct professors. 
 
We could continue to go on and on about Marilyn and her contributions to the industry, but the chances are we can't sum up things as well as Marilyn herself did in the notice she sent, so what follows is most of the announcement she sent out on September 28th:  
 
Dear Industry Professional:
With mixed feelings I want to announce my retirement from Westheimer Plumbing & Hardware as of November 1, 2018. I could not have imagined a more rewarding or fun career and I can't believe it's been 40 years! I have made so many friends over the years - vendors, reps, colleagues, and competitors who became friends as well as associates - and I wanted to share my announcement with you personally. Thank you for letting me be part of creating an industry that continues to inspire people around the world. It gives me great joy to see so many women in our industry. 
 
I want to thank all of my friends at DPHA. The organization has changed the industry and has made all our business more viable and more profitable. I will also add that the greatest honor I have received in my 41 years in business is to be named a DPHA Fellow. It has been my great pleasure to be part of the DPHA group. 
 
As I reflect on my 40 year career, I remember starting with 800 square feet of space, which included my office, warehouse area, and showroom. I had no personal computer, no fax machine, and no cell phones - because they did not exist! I did have the support and help of my husband, Bob, which made all the difference - and I got to work with him for 25 years.
 
At the time, I did not realize that I was one of the trail blazers, not only as a woman in the construction business, but also in an industry that was just developing. Most of the items we sell today would have been beyond the imagination of people in 1977. 
 
Like a lot of companies in the Decorative Plumbing & Hardware industry, ours is a family owned business. I have been working with my co-owners, Douglas Hermance and Mary Ambrose, for over 25 years. There will be no break in the continuity of ownership of the business.
 
Best regards, Marilyn Hermance
We still look forward to seeing Marilyn at DPHA events and remaining a part of the next chapter in her rich and fruitful life.  Congratulations, Marilyn!  Kick back and try to take it at least a little bit easier.  You most definitely deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment