Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Become a Member - Testimonial

A few years ago I was working on a project, everything was going nice and easy and then we hit a wall.  The customer needed unlacquered brass, which is a standard finish for us, however the product that they were using in the staff bathrooms were unfortunately also unlacquered brass and that company suddenly decided to discontinue the unlacquered brass finish.  This somehow became my problem (doesn't it always).  Now my part of the order was very large (8 complete bathrooms, 2 kitchens, the Spa, etc.) so I was getting a little worried and then I had a great idea, I'd call the company directly.

The company was Newport Brass (they are making unlacquered brass again, I'm glad to say).  I called Jonathan Wood, now there is no reason for me to know Jonathan well enough to call, he is a fellow manufacturer, and without the DPHA I'm not sure we would have ever met, let alone know each other well enough for me to call him for help.  Jonathan and Newport Brass were amazing, they bailed me out and made sure that the parts were made for my customer.  I saved a very nice order, which I can directly credit my membership to DPHA for saving (ably assisted by Newport Brass).

I have called different manufacturers over the years and have borrowed a stone tub from Stone Forest for a KBIS show, BainUltra has made us a tub for a party we threw at a House of Blues Hotel, and Sonoma Stone made me the wonderful top for our display at the conference this year.

The connections we make through the DPHA are priceless, it's not just networking with your customers or getting new customers, it's also about the connections between people of the same segment of the industry.  Showrooms help each other, reps cross notes, and manufacturers help out other manufacturers.  Joining the DPHA was one of the best things I ever did as you never know when you will need a helping hand.

  • Sarah Jenkinson, Barber Wilson/Sterlingham

When we started TCB Sales as an independent rep agency we joined DPHA because it was the best way to access manufacturers.  Through DPHA networking opportunities, we landed our first lines and have continued to grow our business.  We also use DPHA to hire and train employees and stay informed with what is going on in the industry.

  • Dennis Mezzapesa, TCB Sales, Hewlett, NY

DPHA membership means much more than belonging to an industry organization.  I have developed professional and personal relationships with the three critical partners in the supply chain: manufacturers, representatives and showrooms.  DPHA offers a format for continual growth enabling the organization and our company to evolve.

  • Debbie Miller, Miller's Elegant Hardware, Boca Raton, FL

The following reasons are why I joined DPHA:

- Candid conversations with customers
- A sounding board for existing and proposed policies and practices
- Ideas for new products
- Relationships that improve our company's reputation and bottom line

  • Jamie Gregg, Colonial Bronze, Torrington, CT

For 20 years, I have been a part of the industry as an independent manufacturer rep.  For almost all of these years, I was allowed to participate silently, but not to join.  DPHA was the first organization that not only allowed me to join, but encouraged and welcomed my participation and opinions.  It is the fist organization to actually believe that there are three equal parts of our industry - distributor/dealer, manufacturer and manufacturer representative.  To be viewed and treated as an equal has been a wonderfully refreshing experience.  It has recharged my batteries, and once again raised my enthusiasm and appreciation for the industry in which I live and work.

  • Jim Babbitt, formerly of Hot2Cold, Northfield, IL (now DPHA Executive Director)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment