Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Thank You to My DPHA Family, from Jim Babbitt (Executive Director)

People who participate in the DPHA annual conferences, especially first time attendees, often comment on the "sense of family" that pervades the Association. That sense of family has never been more apparent to me than during this past year. Before proceeding on to 2019, I thought it imperative I thank you all for your support during 2018.

As many of you know by now, I was diagnosed with stage 2A cancer in March. This year has been both a physical and mental challenge. There were many times when going through treatment (chemotherapy followed by radiation) over the past 8 months that my spirits flagged. My family (headed by my wonderful wife, Michele) was there for me every step of the way. Their love and support was the steady rock I clung to every day.

But my DPHA family was always there for me too, and I also cannot begin to express my gratitude to all of you for your love and support. Whether it was a phone call, email or text message, it seemed that someone was contacting me almost every day - asking how I was doing, seeing if there was anything they could do for me or just trying to make sure I kept my spirits up. It is impossible to tell you how much this helped. Until you have gone through something like this, you can't imagine how much of a difference just hearing from someone can make.

Thankfully, the follow-up tests have been very good, and although I am not officially "out of the woods" yet, the prognosis is very, very positive - an expected complete recovery.

So thank you, thank you, thank you to my DPHA family for your love and support this year. May you all have a wonderful and safe New Years holiday, and a prosperous 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment