Thursday, September 10, 2020

19 Years Later: Remembering 9-11.

DPHA takes time today to remember the 3,000 lives lost during the events that took place nineteen years ago today. The impact of this catastrophic event is still being felt today throughout the economic effects, subsequent illnesses and residual physical and psychological damage of all of those near and dear to New York City. Today is meant to be a day of reflection and remembrance of what that day represented and the community and banding together our country provided in days and months following the attack. We are feeling much of the same emotions throughout 2020 and with community and sharing our stories with our peers, we will get through another major historical moment in our timelines together.

 

DPHA’s own New York bred Kymberly Glazer shares with us her September 11th memories. Keep the stories alive and how these moments in history have shaped you. “On September 11th, 2001 I was a sophomore in college at Colorado State University. It was very early in the morning and my phone was ringing off the hook. I ignored it because, well, I was 19 years old and it wasn't even 7 am! Finally, one of my sorority sisters came bursting into my room, woke me up and said, ‘you need to come downstairs and see this.’ I went downstairs, to the only TV in our sorority house, and watched in horror as the second plane crashed into the South Tower at 9:03 am ET.

 

I grew up just an hour north of NYC and had several friends and family members who were living there. It took me over 5 hours to get ahold of my parents. Every one of my sorority sisters was trying to call, but the phone lines in NY were impossible to get through. All I could do was sit and watch in complete shock. I don't think I even cried until over a month later when I finally got to hug my parents.

 

I am thankful I didn't know anyone who perished that day. There were some miracles in my world on that morning - one of our closest friends who worked at the WTC was running late. Another had a meeting across town.

 

We all have stories of where we were that day, and this was mine. What is yours?”

No comments:

Post a Comment